Monday 27 August 2012

Plum chutney


Polish fruit picker (Stasio)


Yesterday Barnaby and Stasio helped Ollie harvest the cherry plums from our tree and so today is chutney making day. This year we have a bumper crop, so I'm quadrupling the recipe. I'm also mixing and matching several recipes as I want to include plums, cooking apples, Spanish onions and raisins. This means that, according to one recipe, I have accidentally added double the amount of sugar I need, although, according to another recipe, I should be OK. I am also slightly dubious about the amount of vinegar I am supposed to use, so have reduced this. I may end up with burnt, sour toffee. Ollie asked what I'd do if it turned out wrong. My response was that Kerry will eat it anyway.

Hubble bubble

Plum chutney ingredients


  • 4kg plums, de-stoned
  • 1.4 kg cooking apples
  • 1.1kg Spanish onions
  • 1.4kg raisins
  • 1.4kg soft brown sugar
  • 1.25 litres cider vinegar


Chutney spice mix ingredients


2 cinnamon sticks
6 dried red chillies
6 teaspoons allspice berries
2 teaspoons cloves
6 teaspoons coriander seeds
4 teaspoons black peppercorns


How to make plum chutney


  1. As you de-stone the plums, chop them roughly.
    This is an extremely tedious job that takes forever. I have tried leaving the stones in and removing after the chutney is cooked, but, on balance, I think de-stoning before cooking is quicker. At least you can do this while you sit in front of the TV.
  2. Put the stoned plums in a very large preserving pan. 
  3. Peel, core and chop the apples and add to the pan. Don't worry if they go brown before they get in the pan as everything will turn to a brown mush as it cooks anyway.
  4. Peel and roughly chop the onions and add to the pan.
  5. Add the dried chilies and cinnamon sticks to the pan.
  6. Place the rest of the spices in a piece of muslin and tie together. Add this to the pan.
  7. Bring everything to the boil, stirring occasionally to prevent it sticking to the bottom of the pan and burning.
  8. Reduce to a gentle simmer, and cook till thick, stirring regularly to prevent burning. 
  9. BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN STIRRING! The chutney will be very hot and have a tendency to bubble. It’s actually a bit like stirring a cauldron. I usually reduce the temperature right down before giving it a stir to avoid getting splashed with the boiling goo.
  10. Once the chutney is thick, leave it to cool and pot into sterilized jars while still warm, remembering to fish out the cinnamon sticks and dried chilies.
    Sterilizing jars is easy - if you have a dishwasher then just put them through a cycle and leave in the dishwasher till dry. If you don't, like me, just wash in very hot soapy water, rinse in hot water and then place upside down in a cold oven. Switch it on and heat to 100 degrees, then switch off. Leave the jars in the oven till you are ready to use them. Wash lids in hot soapy water, rinse, and leave on a rack to dry
    .
Toil and trouble
The chutney should take about 3 or 4 hours to reach the right consistency. However, I started cooking mine at about 1pm today and it is still not ready at 6.30pm. In fact, I don't think it has reduced at all in the last hour. Maybe it was a mistake to add that extra 250ml vinegar halfway through. I think I need to increase the temperature or I will be up all night. 



I still have 2 large bowls of stoned fruit to use up and another bowl yet to be stoned. I think the jam I intend to make will have to wait for tomorrow night. I found a recipe which involves sprinkling the sugar over the plums and leaving overnight. I have no idea what this is supposed to do but think I will give it a go.

Potting chutney is a sticky business that takes longer than you think. Invariably some dribbles down the site of the jars which need wiping clean before labelling and storing. Leave the chutney for at least a month, longer if possible, before eating. I actually don't give out unmature chutney anymore as some people don't wait till its ready before they eat it (you know who you are).

No comments:

Post a Comment