Thursday 24 October 2013

Apple chutney x2

I have almost given up blogging, it's been so long since I posted anything. Yesterday, I almost gave up cooking, having experienced several culinary disasters:

1. Over-set chutney. Yes, let me just say that again: over-set chutney. How on earth did that happen? I have never, ever over-set chutney before in my life. And, according to Google, neither has anyone who has ever published anything on the web. But the apple, chilli and ginger batch I made on 1st October has over-set, bearing an striking reseblance to jam.

2. Over-set crab apple jelly. Crab apple jelly seems like more faff than its worth. Cleaning, boiling, straining then cooking. Never again. Jams are not for me. I am sticking to chutney from now on (which I will NOT over-set again).


3. Mutton curry without the mutton. I left the mutton in the fridge instead of the freezer for too long and had to throw it out (it went to the foxes, not the bin). But by this time I'd made the curry sauce, so I ended up with a sauce-only curry sauce

On a more positive note, here's a chutney recipe that does appear to have worked. The apples for this one were courtesy of Tanya's friend Diana. 

Apple chutney #2 ingredients


  • 2kg peeled and cored apples, cut into smallish chunks
  • 5 medium onions, roughly chopped
  • 1 litre cider vinegar
  • 500g sultanas
  • 1kg soft brown sugar
  • 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
  • 1 chilli, chopped finely
  • 1 double thumb-sized piece root ginger, grated
  • 1 teaspoon peppercorns
  • 1 cinnamon stick, broken in half
  • 1 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 tablespoon allspice berries
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • Juice 1/2 lemon

How to make apple chutney

  1. Put everything in a preserving pan, bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer. 
  2. Continue to cook until thick, but not too thick.
  3. Turn off the heat and leave to cool down a little.
  4. Pot into warm sterilized jars.
  5. Label before you forget what it is.

Apple chutney #3 ingredients


  • 2.5Kg apples
  • 7 onions (just under 1kg)
  • 800g raisins
  • Approx 1.25 litres malt vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon ground ginger
  • 1 tablespoon ground coriander
  • 1 tablespoon hot paprika
  • 1 tablespoon salt
  • 1 tablespoon brown mustard seeds 
Make the chutney as for Apple chutney #2 



No comments:

Post a Comment